West Selma Historical District
The West Selma Historic District encompasses approximately ninety acres of a primarily residential area west of downtown Selma in Johnston County. Selma is situated in North Carolina’s Coastal Plain about thirty-two miles southeast of Raleigh, the state capitol. The Johnston County seat of Smithfield is less than two miles to the southwest. Beginning in the late nineteenth century, Selma has been located at the junction of several major transportation corridors. The town was established on the North Carolina Railroad in 1867 and incorporated in 1873. Selma grew significantly after 1886, when a branch of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad intersected with the North Carolina Railroad making Selma an important rail junction in eastern North Carolina. In addition to rail transportation routes, several major highways pass through or near Selma. Interstate 95, the major north-south corridor on the East Coast, lies just east of Selma and was completed from Fayetteville to Kenly, which is just north of Selma, in 1961. U.S. 301, which begins in Delaware and ends in Sarasota, Florida, and parallels Interstate 95 throughout most of the Carolinas and Virginia, runs north-south through Selma and assumes the name Pollock Street within the town limits. U.S. 70, an east-west highway that runs from the community of Atlantic in Carteret County, North Carolina, to Globe, Arizona, passes just to the southwest of Selma.